|Modified Hamstick temporarily mounted|
Installing the rig in the truckOnce I got back to the rig, the first step was mounting the radio in the "cage" I'd installed previously. Believe it or not, that cage is fastened to the truck with a single stainless steel hose clamp, but it seems quite immoveable. I tapped into the cigarette lighter circuit, which I'd never use otherwise, for power, and ran a ground wire to the truck's frame.
|Scout mounted with the homebrew paddles on top|
A shelf for the code paddlesA small wooden shelf slides into the steel angle pieces on top in order to support the homebrew guitar pick paddles I made previously. Since I added a lead weight to the bottom of the paddles they rest snuggly and firmly without an additional fastener. The bumpy roads here will let me know if it can stay in place as-is, however.
|Close-up of the left side homebrew clamp|
Clamping the rig in placeI scratched my head a while to find a way to fasten the Scout into the frame. In the end, I created screw-in clamps, one per side, which hold it solidly in place with only an additional wire-tie through the bail stand on the front.
The clamp foot was made using a 1/2" copper pipe cap, which I slotted and compressed around a bolt head that I'd ground to a round shape. On the other end of the bolt I welded a wing nut. There is a hex nut welded to the inside of the upright. A few turns of the wing nuts grips and centers the Scout in the frame.