Monday, September 3, 2012

Ham Walling - New Social Site For Amateurs

ham wall web site screenshot

I thought these guys deserve a plug for trying to upgrade the state of the art for amateur radio social sites. Compared to the sedate QRZ.com and Eham.net sites this one is really jumpin' (well, it's all relative y'know?).  Fast moving and quite a bit more personal than the basically text-based online ham watering holes, which I'm sure would irk most of the OTs in the hobby, it's definitely worth a visit. It will be interesting to see if it survives, and if so, how it will evolve with time.  Just not sure what is up with the "ning" in the URL??  73!

Enhanced by Zemanta

7 comments:

  1. Good evening Casey, just checked out the site very fast as it's late but it looks very interesting, it's kinda like Facebook for hams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have a better look at it when I'm at home this evening. Looks interesting. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many communities do we need as a ham? All radio amateurs are scattered over the internet: qrz.com, eHam, Ham Call.net, qrzcq.com, CQfriends and so on. I tend to stick to one, but to reach a lot of fellow hams I register to all the others too. What am I doing? It take too much time to update all. Ham Wall looks a bit amateurish. I don't agree with you that Ham Wall jumps... Look at CQFriends, much more jumping and modern. But still not registered there. http://www.cqfriends.com/
    73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul,

      I wrote "jumps" compared to QRZ and Eham, but yes, Ham Wall is cluttered and looks un-cooked to me, too.

      Doesn't CQFriends require an invite? I've gotten two invites, accepted them, but it still doesn't seem to register me??

      Delete
    2. You can get an invite but you have to sign up for joining CQFriends. I didn't sign up so far. I am on QRZ.com, HamCall.net, and QRZCQ.com enough for the time being. 73 Paul

      Delete
    3. Well, personally, I think sites like eHam and QRZ are rather outdated and clunky. The are practical, but in Internet time (in which 5 years is old) they are behind. So, I invite any innovation in new ham sites.

      Delete
  4. Casey,

    Hope all is well with you and yours after today's earthquake. Let us know!

    Larry W2LJ

    ReplyDelete

Thanks very much for your comment! 73, Casey

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...