Thursday, May 17, 2012

Softrock SDR Installed

At last the Softrock Lite II is done-done. I've hooked it up to the housetop vertical on 30 meters and have been experimenting with it using the Rocky SDR software. 
SoftRock on Rocky


It took a little bit of fiddling to get the proper settings, but I was soon tuning in digital modes, CW, and some beacons. In the screenshot the radio is tuned to some JT65 traces.





The next step was to see if I could set up a WebSDR server so I can get this modest RX on the 'net. I hadn't realized two things, however. First, it's a Linux program, so I'll have to dig out a Mac cube I have in the workshop that already has Linux on it, or set up Linux in a VM on this laptop. Secondly, I couldn't find a simple download link for the server software, only an old note from 2008 from the author, PA3WFM, that a downloadable version would be ready soon. Obviously, many people across the globe have a WebSDR server (none on 30 meters AFAIK), so they got the software somewhere. 


OK, so WebSDR isn't going to happen tonight. I searched for other candidate software and ran across SDR-Radio's site. On their download page are several versions and just glancing through the documentation I see they have something called a "Remote Server" though it's not clear yet if it will do the job. As you can see in the screenshot it is quite a formidable program (that's just one of several views). I'd d/l the latest Beta and it does seem to have some bugs (such as the frequency being wrong and the waterfall disappearing), but it certainly looks promising. We shall see. Meanwhile, if anyone knows where I can find a copy of WebSDR or any other software that would let me remote my humble SoftRock, please let me know. 

5 comments:

  1. Good morning Casey, great to see the kit is up and running for you. Look forward to the next review once everything is up and running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Casey, I think this program can be used for what you want. Try this link:

    http://sdrspace.com/AddYourRadio/tabid/424/language/en-US/Default.aspx

    73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bas,

      Yes, it does look like it works with SDR-Radio. So, now I have my weekend project!

      73

      Delete
  3. Anonymous19/7/12 10:48

    I think you can get WebSDR server software by emailing the author at pa3fwm AT websdr DOT org. Here is part of the FAQ from http://www.websdr.org/faq.html

    "Where can I download the server software?
    Nowhere. However, I distribute it via e-mail to people who are setting up a publicly accessible server (i.e., listed on websdr.org), and who have everything needed to set it up: a soundcard-based SDR, a computer running Linux, and a fast internet uplink. Contact me for this."

    ReplyDelete
  4. With GNU Radio you can make your own client server. Using UDP or TCP connections one GNU Radio setup can tell the server GNU Radio setup what to do. This is if you just want to do our own private control on the LAN. You might could do something with a custom designed web app and audio streaming stuff like VLC if you want to be completely remote, but this would take some design. A lot of QRSS people just periodically upload spectrum plots to the network over time, and skim them visually.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks very much for your comment! 73, Casey

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...